Orthokeratology (ortho-k) is the fitting of specially designed gas permeable contact lenses that you wear overnight. While you are asleep, the lenses gently reshape the front surface of your eye (cornea) so you can see clearly the following day after you remove the lenses when you wake up.
Corneal reshaping contact lenses
• Adults and children (9-15 years old) who have mild to moderate myopia (with or without mild astigmatism) and are not eligible for refractive surgery (LASIK)
• To correct refractive errors (primarily nearsightedness, but also astigmatism and hyperopia). In some cases, Ortho-K also is used to correct presbyopia.
• To slow the progression of childhood myopia.
Ortho-k lenses are also called “corneal reshaping contact lenses” or “overnight contact lenses to correct or control myopia.”
• Clear vision without the need for glasses or contact lenses for most of the time.
• Vision improvement within a couple of days or weeks after using Ortho-K lens.
• FDA approved for both adults and children (9-15).
• It is easy, safe and effective in use.
• It is comfortable, convenient and reversible when you stop using Ortho-K.
• It is suitable for certain careers in which you need to be glasses-free or contact lens-free like: athletes, pilots, police etc. or even when you have to work in dusty environments.
Ortho-K is the optimal solution for someone who is too young for refractive surgery (LASIK), not a good candidate for refractive surgery, or is too afraid to do refractive surgery but wants to be free of eyeglasses or contact lenses.