If one or more of these signs appear, take your child to an eye doctor right away.
• Eyes don’t line up, one eye appears crossed or looks out!
• Eyelids are red-rimmed, crusted or swollen
• Eyes are watery or red (inflamed)
• Rubs eyes a lot
• Closes or covers one eye
• Tilts head or thrusts head forward
• Has trouble reading or doing other close-up work, or holds objects close to eyes to see
• Blinks more than usual or seems cranky when doing close-up work
• Things are blurry or hard to see
• Squints eyes or frowns
• “My eyes are itchy,” “my eyes are burning” or “my eyes feel scratchy.” “I can’t see very well.”
• After doing close-up work, your child says “I feel dizzy,” “I have a headache” or “I feel sick/nauseous.”
• “Everything looks blurry,” or “I see double.”
Notice: Remember, your child may still have an eye problem even if he or she does not complain or has not shown any unusual signs.